Date: January 10th, 2019
About Tanner Bauer
Tanner Bauer is a 15-year-old kid out of Louisville, Colorado who, despite his age, has a climbing résumé most of us could only dream of. He’s climbed over 30 5.13 sport routes and has sent up to 5.14b (Waka Flaka last year). He’s also bouldered up to V10 and sent gear climbs up to 5.12b. He’s got a solid head on his shoulders, and he says he stays pretty calm and collected at comps, where he placed 1st in Youth B at the Go Pro Games in Vail and 1st in Divisionals for both bouldering and sport last year. He’s also sponsored by MadRock and FrictionLabs.
I’ll be honest – I had my doubts about having an hour-long chat with a 15-year-old boy. But I thought it would be a great opportunity for us to hear not only from kids’ coaches, but the kids themselves. Tanner proved to be well-spoken and insightful, and I think any youth coach could learn a few things from this kid. After all, he made a ton of progress in the last year after he switched coaches, and he talks about why his current team (Team Solo at Evo Rock & Fitness) and coach (Justen Sjong) worked so well for him.
One other interesting thing I want to mention about this interview is that Tanner recently sustained a growth plate injury, which is something I’ve talked a lot about with coaches on the podcast. He discusses how he got injured, how he could’ve avoided it, and what he’ll do differently in the future.
I hope you enjoy the interview, and please send it along to any youth coaches you think it could help.
Tanner Bauer Interview Details
- What being on a team provides for him
- His dream of becoming a professional climber
- How he trains throughout the year for comp seasons
- How he sustained a growth plate injury and how he’ll avoid it in the future
- Typical training days during each phase of his year
- The valuable tools he’s learned from Justen Sjong
Tanner Bauer Links
Training Programs for You
Do you want a well-laid-out, easy-to-follow training program that will get you stronger quickly? Here’s what we have to offer on TrainingBeta…
- Personal Training Online: www.trainingbeta.com/matt
- For Boulderers: Bouldering Training Program for boulderers of all abilities
- For Route Climbers: Route Climbing Training Program for route climbers of all abilities
- Finger Strength : www.trainingbeta.com/fingers
- All of our training programs: Training Programs Page
Please Review The Podcast on iTunes
Please give the podcast an honest review on iTunes here to help the show reach more curious climbers around the world.
Photo by Brian Bauer of his son Tanner on Public Execution, 5.14a, in Clear Creek Canyon, Colorado