Date: June 12th, 2019
About Sierra Blair-Coyle
Sierra Blair-Coyle is a well-known 25-year-old professional competitive climber from Arizona. She’s been doing well in national and world cup-level comps for well over a decade, and she’s one of the few females from the United States who consistently travels to World Cup events. Some of her recent standout achievements in climbing include the following:
- Team USA (2010-2018)
- 2018 PanAmerican Bouldering Champion
- 1st 2018 Mesa Rim ProAM
- 10th 2018 IFSC World Cup Hachioji
- 10th 2018 Open Bouldering Nationals
- 10th 2017 Open Bouldering Nationals
Sierra is also known for her other career as a model and social media influencer. She has over 165k followers on Instagram and 386k followers on Facebook, where she posts positive shots and videos about her life as a professional athlete.
I wanted to talk with Sierra about what it’s like training for comp-style boulders, and we ended up discussing her training program in detail, as well as her impressive home gym set-up. She told me all about her strength training–and how her mom is her strength coach, as well as how she practices for comp-style boulders, and what her campus and hangboard sessions look like.
I also wanted to know what it’s like being as “famous” as she is in the climbing community and beyond. I imagined she’s gotten a lot of attention, both positive and negative, from her followers and other people online. We talked about the type of attention she appreciates, the kind of attention she absolutely doesn’t want from people, and some ground rules she’d like her fans to follow when sending her messages (wink, wink… she doesn’t like DP’s, guys).
I also asked her how she felt about the article that Andrew Bisharat wrote about her, called “Athlete or Model: What Is Sierra Blair-Coyle?” We talked about how the article and the ensuing negative comments hurt her quite a bit, but how she came out stronger on the other side of it.
We also talked about her diet (which is surprisingly similar to my own), and how she stays lean while still fueling her intense training and competition schedule.
Sierra Blair-Coyle Interview Details
- Her typical weekly training schedule
- How she practices comp-style boulders
- The details of her campus, hangboard, and strength sessions
- How she trains weaknesses
- How her online persona compares with her real life
- A typical day for her in Arizona
- Her sick home gym set-up
- Her diet
Training Programs for You
Do you want a well-laid-out, easy-to-follow training program that will get you stronger quickly? Here’s what we have to offer on TrainingBeta…
- Personal Training Online: www.trainingbeta.com/matt
- For Boulderers: Bouldering Training Program for boulderers of all abilities
- For Route Climbers: Route Climbing Training Program for route climbers of all abilities
- Finger Strength : www.trainingbeta.com/fingers
- All of our training programs: Training Programs Page
Please Review The Podcast on iTunes
Please give the podcast an honest review on iTunes here to help the show reach more curious climbers around the world.